Wednesday, July 1, 2015

It Felt Like I Was Experiencing Deja Vu

This summer no different from any of the last eleven of my life has been spent at the pool with the swim team.  However unlike 10 of the previous summers, I am no longer one of the swimmers.  I'm a coach.  AL and I have had multiple conversations regarding "did you ever think when you started you would become a coach?" and similar lines.  To be honest with you, no I didn't ever see myself as a coach.  Honestly I don't know that ever saw myself swimming much past those first couple summers and I certainly didn't see myself teaching other people how to swim as well.  Eleven years and a lot of swimming later however, I am a coach and I am spending my third summer in a row giving swim lessons.  The other day while giving a lesson to a little girl one of the pool rats asked me if the girl was my daughter.  My reply "Um, no I'm teaching her how to swim." In my mind I was immediately taken back to a time that seems like forever ago, when I was the little girl and Amy was me and another child had asked if I was her daughter.  It was a little scary how similar the situation was and frightening to find myself in the position of the teacher.  Oh how the times have changed, and oh how I certainly didn't expect to find myself in this position.

3 comments:

Munchkin said...

who's Amy?

Relish said...

My swim teacher

The Bride said...

The circle of life.... How fast it spins