Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Reasons Why I Enjoy Ash Wednesday

Call me weird, but I actually really like Ash Wednesday.  The first day of Lent can be a bit of a challenge at times, mostly due to the fasting aspect, but hey it's one day.  Plus the random conversations brought on by the ashes you sport on your forehead outweigh the fact that you are ready for lunch at 9:30 in the morning and supper at 4:30 in the afternoon.

That being said, I had one of the entertaining conversations at work today.  One of the other ladies in the office came downstairs on her way out the door, looked at me, and exclaimed "What is on your head!?" I grinned and told her ashes, at which she suddenly remembered today is Ash Wednesday.

Also, my other favorite part was as a child comparing your ashes to all your friends after mass.  Even now people comment on how "good" your ashes are.  I walked into work and another woman told me, "Wow they really got you good."  Isn't that sort of the point? They smudge on a heavy layer so you don't manage to wipe it off the first time you forget you have ashes and touch your forehead.

4 comments:

you can call me al said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
you can call me al said...

Reuben's ashes didn't last two minutes, as he insisted that he had to get the "durt" off of his head, and then wouldn't shake hand with his right hand later, because it had "durt" on it. Maybe next year.....

Munchkin said...

Reuben or Super Trooper? Also, I think Super Trooper needs a new blog name. I can never remember it and now that we can see his personality we should be able to come up with something good.

you can call me Al said...

It was Super Trooper.