Friday, January 8, 2016

Never Did I Ever...

Think I would be making a bet in the convent, but last night I was taken up on a bet by one of the Sisters in the house, Sr. BA.  Apparently this particular "game" is actually a rather common thing in the convent.  While eating almonds at supper I was told if you got a "twin" almond in the shell then you had to tell someone Bonjour Philipine.  Then that person takes one of the almonds and before eating them you set a time in which you must say Bonjour Philipine to the other person again.  Whoever says it then gets some form of prayers for the other person.  As it happened, right after explaining the whole thing to me, Sr. BA got the twin almonds and offered one to me.  So this morning after coming down to the dining room for breakfast, I had to say Bonjour Philipine to her first in order for her to offer her prayers and the mass she attends tomorrow for me.  Afraid I would forget since the whole thing was new to me another Sr. who had been sitting at the table reminded me before I came downstairs and made sure I knew what to say.  The whole having a prayer bet looming over your head can make you really paranoid while getting your breakfast ready.  The entire time I was getting my breakfast ready, I spent more time glancing over my shoulder and looking around for Sr. BA than actually looking at the things I was getting.  She finally showed up and, in case you were wondering, I won. It was very close and I was ready to call it a tie, but the Srs. who witnessed it declared me the winner.

It gets better though, not only were Sr.BA and I in this prayer bet, but the Provincial, who is currently visiting our house, and our Animator were also in one! (So basically the two Srs. in charge of my life right now were betting.)

1 comment:

The Mrs. said...

Your "Never did I evers" are WAY different than when I play that game.

Congrats on your victory! Here's hoping those bet-won prayers aren't tainted in any way. ;)